Balbriggan, County Dublin

Dublin | 0 comments

Balbriggan is a beautiful sea-side town situated 32km away to the north of Dublin City Centre which is in North County Dublin. The town in Irish is called BaileBricin which means Town of the Small Trouts. Originally, the town was a small fishing village where after the Battle of the Boyne in 1690, King William of Orange along with his army set up their comfortable camp. In the year 1920, Balbriggan was looted and burned by the “Black and Tans” which was a British Military force. This incidence occurred after a Royal Irish Constable was killed during the War of Independence in 1916-21.
The town captures hearts by offering beautiful places like beaches, operational harbor, a light house, a beautifully restored Ardgillan Demesne and a mesmerizing Castle all set in 83 Hectares of the famous rolling parklands. Access to kitchen garden and beautiful rose is also easy and fills eyes with the beauty of nature. Balbriggan is also famous for its Golf Club which is an 18 holevast championship course with all the requisite facilities like restaurant and bar. Moreover, visitors are also delighted after having a glimpse of the historical sites built in the 14th century at Bremore, Balrothery and Four Knocks. In addition, the fresh water lake located at Balrothery nearby Balbriggan offers an enjoyable trout fishing experience. Moreover, for the convenience of the visitors, there exists a tourist information office which is located on Georges Square in Balbriggan.

Balbriggan offers good rail connectivity to its residents and visitors as it is situated 32 km north of Dublin city and falls on the famous Belfast-Dublin main line which is a part of the Irish rail network. The Balbriggan railway station is served by the commuter rail services that initiated on 25 May 1844 and shut down for good traffic on 2 December 1974. It is supposed that around 2,200 commuters take the round of the station every working day. Furthermore, the town is also situated just next to the well-defined M1 motorway that got completed in the year 1998. Before this, the chief Dublin-Belfast road passed through the center of Balbriggan, alongside a major traffic blockage on a regular basis. Balbriggan is supposed to be the most northerly town in the entire Fingal and is located very near to Drogheda.

The town is blessed with the River Bracken which is also known as the Matt River. It once formed a lake called “The Canal” or “Head” and now flows through the town. The water was cleaned through tunnels and a canal down to the Lower Mill, where it was used for turning a waterwheel in order to drive the cotton manufacturing machinery. The town is able to cater to the needs of its residents by offering them with all the necessary facilities.

Moreover, in the early 2000s, the town witnessed a population boom and as a result the demand for more houses increased at a great level. Within the Dublin region, there were around hundreds of new homes being built in order to provide shelter to the residents. Since then, the town has never looked back and is consistently climbing the ladders of development.

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Where? What?

cliffs of moher day tours logo