To the south-east of the Suir, the Walsh Mountains overlook this 800 years old town. According to historians, the first settlement of the town was found in the Walsh Mountains. Life in this medieval town began with the grant of three fairs per year by Matthew Fitz Griffin, who was the Lord of the manor of Carrick. During that time, Carrick-on-Suir was known as Carrig Mac Griffin.
Presently, the town is inhabited by around 12,000 people, out of which 8,000 belong to the local community. Besides, the history of the town traces its root back to 823 AD, when Turgesius started building forts on the bank of rivers for settlement. Later, he built walled settlements, out of which Waterford was the most important. This settlement was built at the mouths of three rivers; namely, Suir, Nore and Barrow.
Later, Anglo Norman family called Le Bret came to Carrig and built Manor House of the Butlers. The ruins and remains of their residence can still be seen in the town. In the 14th century, the judiciary of the town came under the rule of Butlers of Ormond. Moreover, in 1309, Edmond Butler, who was the member of this clan, constructed two large, heavily garrisoned castle keeps that are known as Plantagenet Castle. In 1315, he also created the Earl of Carrig.
In 1447, Richard the Builder constructed the Old Bridge, which is one of the most spectacular stone bridges in Ireland. The four towered castle of the town was also built in the 1400s. The modern history of the town revolves around the tanning industry (1934 – 1938). In 1784, the family called Galloway funded the construction of the Town Clock in Carrick-on-Suir. Commercially, the town stared flourishing after first quarter of the 20th Century, when Plunder and Pollack Leather Factory opened.
Landmarks of different eras dominate the sightseeing attractions in the town. Blarney Woollen Mills, Ahenny High Crosses and Ormonde Castle are the major landmarks of the town. Another prominent landmark of the town is the Old Bridge that is situated at the end of Bridge Street. Carrick-on-Suir also offers awe-inspiring view of the countryside from the viewing points like Mahon Falls and Comeragh Mountains.
River Suir that flows across the town is habitat of Atlantic salmon and brown trout, because of which it is popularly known as the angler’s paradise in Europe. Carrick-on-Suir is also a centre of other activities like golf, tennis, soccer and rugby. Like all other towns of Ireland, Carrick-on-Suir also has a tradition of horse riding. This unique combination of heritage and leisure attracts earn this small and bustling town a prominent place on the map of Ireland.